Friday, September 18, 2009

Fuel Alcohol

It has distracted me recently. My curiosity is piqued, big-time. I want to see this guy's notes on different feedstock crops for fuel fermentation and distillery. How do you ferment some of the harder, more lignified stuff he talks about? What would be the cost in land and money to be able to grow and process 1000 gallons of fuel ethanol a year. He talks about a perennial 800 gallons per acre from mesquite tree pods and their groundcover combined. He's also a permaculturist, which for better or worse I treat as a shorthand for a set of values that make sense to me.

This is David Blume's alcohol talk. An hour and a half, but extremely interesting. I like the part about prohibition, its funding from Rockefeller and Standard Oil.

David Blume's book, Alcohol Can Be a Gas!, is at the library. Coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Its neal I just watched it and it blew my fuckin mind! Wow! I hope you get a rainy day to up date your blog and tell us how you are doing in Mendo.

    ReplyDelete