Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Textbook Tyme

A seasoned person would look at me spending borrowed money on books, claiming the right to say I will be a farmer, not having yet set foot in a dialed-in farm's field and have low expectations for the results. But there was, and is, serious learning going on at MyFarm and the classes are work school. And my view is I know just enough that to pass up land that's available now in a place I want to be would be the dumbest thing to do.

I ordered some books today.



This is a magazine.
















This is four books.













Basically my hope is that these will in great part tell me what to expect and what is expected of me as far as livestock goes in particular. I'll finally be able to formulate an idea of how to use the pasture and keep animals on the grass. This is the element that I haven't known enough to design or plan around. After this I can hope to have a picture of a "complete" farm.
Part of me wishes I didn't have to buy them but part is so pumped that I didn't have much choice. I've been doing well with finding stuff at the library but these I am going to have to refer back to and I did my best to find them: no library accessible through SF public has access to them, or any similar books. What to do? They should arrive soon.

To demonstrate commitment in a superficial way, I bought a three year subscription to this rag. Though it's true that the price was adjusted radically in favor of the long bomb.

1 comment:

  1. =O Whoa. That's a lot of books you got there Matt

    Christian

    ReplyDelete